Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Red Dog Wrap Up

Following are some photos from my last weekend in the beautiful northeast corner of the Olympic Peninsula.

First, notes on Port Townsend, a small, eclectic artist's town on Puget Sound.  The town is funky and earthy - a bit like a mix of Hillcrest and Ocean Beach.  There are organic restaurants, funky vintage clothing and record stores, and tons of coffee shops in town.  

A PT bumper sticker notes the sarcastic nature of residents

Postcards by local artists at the PT farmer's market

Scarves done using a felting technique by another local craft-maker at the farmer's market

On Sunday I went to Marrowstone Island where a part-time worker at Red Dog is house sitting.  She hosted a croquet and potluck party!

Gorgeous guest house on the property built by Jim, the owner

A fierce game ensued

 Some got competitive when given the chance to knock other players' croquet balls away

 After the game, Janet, a neighbor, led us through the woods down to the shore or Marrowstone Island


We found a geocache box in the roots of a driftwood tree.  Inside we found a log book, shells, and a pair of turtle socks!

 A view of the Sound from the top of the cliff on our way back

 Meadow atop the cliffs

 In the meadow - a group of old, weather-beaten houses with moss-covered rooftops

On the way back to Red Dog from Marrowstone I stopped on Indian Island to walk along the shore.



Back at Red Dog I took a few final photos of the farm.



 An attempt to take a photo with Woofins, the barn cat.  He drools and brought rats into the bathroom to present to me sometimes.

---
  
I left Red Dog farm Monday morning, as scheduled.  I had a fantastic time on my first WWOOF farm.  I learned a ton about basic harvest, transplant, and tool techniques.  The people I met and worked with through Red Dog were welcoming, adventurous, and exceptionally understanding about my lack of farm knowledge! 

 Miss you already, Red Dog Farm crew!  Keep on rockin'.

6 comments:

  1. Woofins brought you rats? Just like Mr. C@!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie, these pictures are the most beautiful I've seen in my life and I am so, so, so envious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geocache?!?! these people know how to live!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello - I came across your blog while looking for Chimacum, WA photography, you have some great photos! I'm wondering if you'd allow the Jefferson County Chamber of Commerce to use some of them on a new website we're creating? I couldn't find an email on here, so i'm hoping you get this!

    Thanks very much!
    Danny

    jeffcountychamber.org
    danny@workinmancreative.com

    ReplyDelete