Friday, May 14, 2010

Drive Up/First Day at Red Dog Farm

I've arrived at my first farm!  All of the people I worked with today -1 other WWOOFer, 3 permanent staff, and the owner - were all exceptionally nice.  I worked harvesting and bundling radishes and turnips for farmers markets tomorrow morning.  After, I used a hoe to weed rows of onions and weeded patches of strawberries.  The valley that Red Dog is in is filled with pastures, other farms, and private homes.  From my tent I have a clear view of the surrounding mountains and a field of cows neighbor me to the west.  Today it was sunny and warm, perhaps unseasonally so, which made working outside awesome.  I'll take pictures of the farm this weekend and post them soon.

In the meantime, I have some pictures from my drive up here with my dad.  You can click on any of these for a larger image.

View of Mt. Shasta in northern CA

Siskiyou Summit on I-5 just across the California/Oregon border

Driving on the beach in Ocean Shores, WA

On Highway 101 on the west side of the Olympic Peninsula


La Push beach on the west side of the Olympic Peninsula

Panoramic view of Port Townsend harbor, WA

On the ferry to Edmonds this morning to drop my dad off at the Seattle airport

I love the first farm so far!  I'm excited to enjoy some local hiking this weekend and work more come Monday. 

3 comments:

  1. hey natalie!
    sounds like you're having fun! keep posting the pictures- Washington is SO pretty. also, is there any address that we can send care packages to(I may see a peoples trip in my future)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! You're awesome! Care packages are awesome!
    You can send me something general delivery to the Concrete, WA post office (where I'll be next week). Address things as:

    Natalie Holt
    General Delivery
    Concrete, WA Post Office
    45650 Main Street
    Concrete, WA 98237-9689

    Tell me if you send me something so I know to pick it up. My phone works so you can text or call me! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. La Push?! La Push?! Awesome. I won't geek out on you. Promise.

    ReplyDelete