Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Rain and Kickball

My second full day of work is complete!  Since I'm a volunteer on the farm I only have to work 5 hours a day, Monday-Friday, but I still feel exhausted at the end of each day.  I've spent the last two days meticulously weeding beds of extremely fine carrot sprouts, hoeing rows of vegetables, and harvesting, bundling, and washing chard, lettuce, and radishes.  I'm always kneeling or squatting or bending over and I definitely feel the effects of it.  (A yoga class in Port Townsend yesterday helped to work out some of the kinks, though.)

Besides working with staff and one other WWOOFer, I worked on Monday with a woman who does 'work trade' on the farm every few weeks.  In exchange for four hours of morning labor, she gets to harvest several bags of vegetables from the fields.  It's an interesting system - reducing some of the farmer's costs in labor for a minor loss of product while involving community members.

Today I woke up to the patter of rain on my tent, which meant the day was going to be messy.  I donned my rain pants and jacket and heavy rubber fishing boots from my internship on a ranch last year.  After harvesting and washing all morning I was covered in dirt and extremely thankful for packing trash bags to stash my muddy rain gear in.


Naturally, the sky cleared up right when I got off work.


In other news, tonight Red Dog farm is playing FinnRiver farm, just down the valley, in kickball.  Tensions are running high.  The competition will be fierce.  I'm so ready.

4 comments:

  1. Go Red Doggies Go! Maybe you could resurrect some of your finest softball cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. natalie you are so cute i'm so happy that you're doing this because of the passion i know you have for it. and the kickball game put a big smile on your face cause i can see youu getting excited already:)
    i tried to leave you this on your fb but idk if it worked, the frickin water at our ntc garden is turned off again! i just wanted to know how you got it turned back on last time:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. You think the rest of the world knows that food doesn't come from Ralphs or Vons? It's grown? out of the ground? Yikes. And how do they make those baby carrots that come in one pound bags? They're a very strange shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, Mr. Aguirre, it's nuts! Baby carrots sprout out of the ground, pre-packaged in plastic, each identical to the next. But come on, everyone knows that!

    ReplyDelete